Dec 23, 2010
Published Dec 23, 2010
Save 30% on
Genealogy Gems Premium Membership now through 12/27/10!!
COUPON CODE: 30NEWYEAR Sign up or extend your membership today.
Lisa's Upcoming Speaking Engagements:
Who Do You Think You Are? LIVE Conference in
Lisa will be speaking on Sunday Feb. 27, 2011 at noon.
Use the Promotional code SOG2425 to purchase discounted tickets.
The Mesa Family History Expo, January 21 & 22, Mesa Convention Center
The Whittier Area Genealogical Society
Google for Genealogy All Day Seminar, January 29, 2011
Ohio Genealogical Society Conference in Columbus, OH, March 31 - April 2, 2011
Alberta Genealogical Society Conference in Edmonton, Canada, April 16 & 17, 2011
Southern California Genealogical Society Jamboree in Burbank, CA, June 10 - 12, 2011
featuring a LIVE podcast!
Coming Soon! Lisa's brand new book The Genealogist's
Stay Tuned for the release date!
Book Lisa for your next society seminar or
Click here for a list of available presentations, and Lisa's bio
For more information or to request a booking email email@example.com
Launch of Podcast Android App
The Genealogy Gems Podcast Companion App for Android is now available in the Android marketplace and at Appbrain
iPhone, iPod iTouch app is available at the iTunes store. Give the App as a gift from the app page in iTunes. Click the down arrow next to the price.
The new podcast media player on the show notes page for each episode.
Just released: Premium Episode 60
Features Rootsmagic and Ancestry answers, and Rethinking Journals with 10 Questions You Need to Answer.
Lee Van Bergen wrote in asking about the Genealogy Gems Podcast iGoogle Gadget.
How to get the updated gadget:
1. Delete the existing gadget from iGoogle
2. Go to www.GenealogyGems.com
3. Click the +Google button in the right hand blue column
4. On the next page click the blue Add to Google Homepage button
5. Now you will have a current gadget for the podcast on your iGoogle page.
1. Click the podcast icon on the home page of www.GenealogyGems.com
2. At the Show Notes page (Podcast blog) copy the url address which is http://www.genealogygemspodcast.com
3. Go to your iGoogle page
4. Click the Add Stuff link
5. On the left isde of that iGoogle Directory page click the Add Feed or Gadget link
6. Paste the entire URL address into the box
7. Click the ADD button
8. You'll instantly have the Genealogy Gems Podcast gadget on your iGoogle page
Amber Creix Prat wrote to share a resource:
Missouri Digital Heritage Website
"Thanks for keeping up your podcast and I can't wait to listen to the next episodes of both the free and premium versions!"
Check out Amber's genealogy blog called Tackling Brick Walls
One Brick At A Time
Shelly Johnson wrote in for some advice on how to locate a death record for an ancestor who likely died in the early 20th century in Marylnad.
Links and suggestions from Lisa
Check to see if there are State Census Records
According to their list state census records aren't available.
Turn your attention to state and county death records in Maryland. FamilySearch Wiki gives a good overview of what might be available. Maryland Death Records in FamilySearch Wiki
Premium Member Kevin Boyles started a new genealogy blog called Genealogical Masonry - because it's all about brick walls now.
Tell them you heard about Rootsmagic on The Genealogy Gems Podcast!
GEM: Interview with Kendall Wilcox, The Generation Project
(Image Below: Executive Producer Kendall Wilcos in the control room.)
Do your own Generations Project:
1. What is your motivation for doing this? What is your
2. Laser focus on your motivation
3. Populate the tree following the lines that will help you find answers to your why
4. Mix the chart with your family and social history
5. Walk in your ancestor's shoes
6. Share your experience and watch it ripple and impact others. (write, tell, blog, photo essay, etc.)
The resources will be on the new blog website. All future seasons will have an episode devoted to doing your own generations project.
APP USERS: Check out the exclusive photo montage video!
UPDATE: BYUTV will be running an all new episode on January 3rd as a sneak peek for viewers. It will be the episode featuring the Denke's (Image below) and their search for the anonymous donor who saved their kids' lives. The remaining episodes for Season 2 will officially air in the Spring.
(Image Below: Xander & Carrie Denke watch their journey in studio with The Generations Project host, Lise Simms.)
Watch a preview of the first episode of season 2:
And here's a look at episodes coming this Spring: